Sunday, July 08, 2007

Onorio's Totally Tuscan Pate



In Hawaii, one of my favorite indulgences was to pau hana with friends at Neiman Marcus' Mariposa, watch the sunset, the palms sway, and enjoy a glass of wine with my favorite duck foie gras with a berry glaze.

Later I abandoned such joy once I learned that not only the French but American farmers force feed those lovely ducks by inserting a tube down their throat so they develop juicy, fatty livers (basically liver disease) several times the size that they should be...so that I can have my scrumptious pate. I love pate--but I love animals too and believe they - like us - should be entitled to a humane life and a humane death.



So you can imagine my delight when Onorio schooled me in the art of making Tuscan liver pate from chickens. I don't know why I never thought that perfectly good pate can come from chickens, which of course...are not force fed.



Raw liver has always given me the willies. And I know this looks really gross but it's really tasty, rich in iron and encouraged for those with thyroid conditions!

Here's what you do...

Saute onions, garlic, capers with a couple of anchovies until soft.
Add a bag of chicken liver and simmer on medium until cooked thoroughly.
Add a splash of white wine.
Simmer a little longer.
Throw the mixture in a food processor.
Spread a little bit of this heaven on fresh and freshly toasted Italian bread.
Close your eyes, envision Tuscany...and enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home