Friday, August 24, 2007

Sightseeing in Sicily: Bah Blah Bah!




It's rare that I find myself in gridlock in Sicily. Partly because I'm a chicken to drive. And partly because nothing could be worse than the Honolulu commute during rush hour. So this is the closest I get these days to traffic -- waiting for the geep to flow around my Jeep.

Sigonella's official website calls these animals "geep" because the sheep and goats are herded together. Wikipedia says "a sheep-goat chimera is sometimes called a geep in popular media. A chimera produced by combining the embryos of a goat and a sheep." The resulting animal has cells of both sheep and goat origin. A geep should not be confused with a sheep-goat hybrid (when a goat mates with a sheep).



All I know for sure is that these smelly little nellies, their floppy little ears and their little bell necklaces are cute whether they're inter-species friends, bred in a petri dish or shacked up with a foreigner species.

And whenever I have the pleasure of being inconvenienced by them I always roll down my window and coo at them and say, "blah blah blah! baa baa baa!"

They don't get the joke.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home