Monday, October 22, 2007

Nelson's Castle thru Sharp's words & eyes

Two years before his death, poet William Sharp writes in his travelog from one of these windows...


"And now, as I write here, I find myself listening to three persistent sounds which reach me through the open window: though it is so still in the gardens below that I can hear the continuous indeterminate murmur of the bees in the dense borders of the large and fragrant Sicilian amaryllides, so still that the floating fumes of roses and violets, of heliotrope and the long clustered spires of medlar and lemoncina, rise undrifted by the least eddy of air, an invisible smoke of sweet odours."



While the gardens are nicely landscaped, I can only imagine how beautiful the gardens were when Sharp visited in the early 1900s.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home