Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Perfectly Pedara

We feel so blessed not to have to live in military housing that we feel rather guilty that after more than a year living in Nicolosi, we haven't really gotten to know the town next door.



Right next to each other, Pedara and Nicolosi are sister towns. And between the townsfolk there is more than just a hint of sibling rivalry. Both are charming and distinct. To Pedara's envy, Nicolosi has done a better job of capitalizing on its tourism with its boutiques, eateries, waterfall roundabouts and newly paved sidewalks lined with trees and flowers.



Pedara may feel as if it's Nicolosi's ugly step sister. But the truth is...at least from an outsider's perspective...that no matter how much Nicolosi succeeds at accessorizing, Pedara has an old world charm and an innate elegance that just can't be contrived.



4 Comments:

At Thursday, October 25, 2007, Blogger Nellie said...

Dear Jacque, There is a incredible Baroque Church / chapel inside a castle in the mountain town of Castlebuono although for myself I found it kind of creepy, the huge plaster figures of infant babies crawling up the wall's and around the room gave me the willies. The town looks like it leapt out of a Bavarian picture book. Also there is a great antique shop there with an innovative way of displaying stuff.I loved doing the church thing , who's buried under the floors or beneath the alters. Hope you get a chance to visit there.

 
At Thursday, October 25, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi there!
Thank you for the comment on my blog and the awesome photos of Sicily. I wish I would be able to get to the other side of the island, but time probably will not permit it. It is nice to be able to travel to those places through your photos.

Keep posting the photos.

ps-you might want to change your blog settings so that all the posts don't display all on one page. It takes a while to load and people with slow pc's might not be able to see all your wonderful posts and photos. :)

 
At Saturday, November 10, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi from Joan, I used Pedara as my place to learn to drive to and ended up liking it so well, I went back several times just to wander. Enjoyed both churches and saw one of them getting set up for a wedding and the other just as the bridal couple
were leaving. The guests looked pretty scary....like what one pictures Mafia to look like!!!! Anyway, glad to see Pedara featured.
Many happy travels!Joan F

 
At Monday, July 27, 2009, Blogger Christine said...

Thank you so much for creating this blog! I lived in Pedara for 7 years, on Via Luigi Pirandello, about 200 feet down the street from the Hotel Bonacorsi. I loved it there. I was very good friends with my neighbor, Lucy. I often wonder how she is. I have not had a letter from her in 2 years. I am so afraid to call and be told that she has died. I'm so homesick for this beautiful little town and the island itself. Enjoy your tour! We were there with HC-4. I loved every minute of it. Taught at the school on the base. Was wonderful. Christine

 

Post a Comment

<< Home