Wednesday, January 02, 2008

2008 Resolutions



I'm 9000 feet above sea level on a volcano in Sicily watching the first sun of the new year set. The new year invites me to reconnect with why I'm here on this island in the Mediterranean in the first place.

Sicily was my choice not Rob's as I needed to step off the bullet train - to find my footing again, regain my balance and to love and know myself better than I loved my 24-hr on call job, my family, my mortgages, my friends and everything else in the world that truly wants a piece of your ass.

I took the path well-tread. Went to college prep schools. Went to college. Landed a job. Transitioned to new jobs seamlessly - working continuously from post to post.

After a decade of following the all American formula, I felt sucked dry. I spent more time pleasing others than I did learning what might truly please me. Well you can't know what truly pleases you until you've sat in the stillness of your own life and met yourself!



I think most women are reared to be caregivers, pleasers and spend most of their lives outside of themselves. And it works for them. But for me at 34, I realized if I didn't take the time to be a witness to my own life's patterns and was willing to observe my own thoughts, choices as well as I observed others -- I knew with certainty that I'd wake up one day and realize that I'm old as dirt, spiritually starved with a fat ass, and life happened instead of living the life I chose.

When we got on the plane for Italy, it was the first time in life when I no longer had a house key nor a business card nor a parent nearby. This was my opportunity to find out who I really am without all these layers of commitments, responsibilities and roles. Americans become their jobs -- It's the American way. How many times have you introduced yourself and someone asks - "So what (job) do you do?" And from that, they place you in a framework.

Well in 2008 here's what I want to be doing for a living - experiencing life mindfully, consciously with greater awareness about the patterns that serve and no longer serve my soul. Pure and simple.

So with you as my witness, here are my resolutions for 2008.

1. Every morning when I open my eyes, to practice reiki instead of consulting my daily to do list.

2. To enjoy a mile every day outdoors with the dogs.

3. To get on a plane and visit an old friend where too much time has passed.

4. Recognize fear-based thoughts and flip them to gratitude/faith-based expressions.

5. To support Rob on his path.

6. To find ways to give Rob more personal time.

7. To support my parents thru their life transitions.

8. To earn 30% more than last year.
_______________________________________

Uh...did I say eat less and move more (as I sit in my PJs at Pat's house saddled up to the pupus)...this year I mean it!

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, January 02, 2008, Blogger Anne in Oxfordshire said...

What an amazing story...I need to read it again, and take some of it on board.

Yes i need to find "ME" again..been a mum and wife for years..lost "ME" along the way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home